South Bay Consulting Services is seeking a
Database Administrator (77465)
11/12/2018 to 11/11/2019
5 Years experience
We are only working on W2 and 1099 opportunities.
We consider working 1099 opportunities (direct to employee).
No C2C or C2H, no visa sponsorship.
As a Senior Database Administrator, the employee performs a range of database analyst assignments including, but not limited to designing, developing, testing, and implementing database systems for the Michigan Department of Corrections (MDOC).
As a Senior Database Administrator, the employee performs a complete range of information system database analyst assignments including, but not limited to designing, developing, testing, and implementing database systems for the Michigan Department of Corrections (MDOC). This individual will be looked upon to provide technical support to other team members and evaluate new database solutions and technologies. Provide maintenance, support and assistance to specialist DBAs with installation and configuration of clustered database failover, database replication, and database backup solutions.
General Summary of Duty 1:
As a senior level information technology programmer/analyst, uses advanced principles and procedures of systems design methodology, structured systems design and automated data processing techniques for new and existing complex computer applications.
Individual tasks related to the duty:
- Research, draft and recommend database standards and policies.
- Coordinate with vendor support to address technical issues that could not be resolved in-house.
- Participate in the planning process to match emerging technologies with future business needs.
- Establish standards and guidelines for database space allocation based on best practices and implementation considerations based on business requirements.
- Calculate disk space requirements for existing and/or new installations and growth based on changing business requirements.
- Measure and/or forecast current capacity, gauge the growth of capacity over time, and factor in the anticipated capacity requirements to determine whether the existing infrastructure can sustain the anticipated workload.
- Research, analyze, and determine appropriate changes to DBMS parameters to support future application and database needs.
- Research, analyze, and determine appropriate hardware changes to support future application and database needs. Report recommendations to appropriate DBA specialist and/or technical services.
- Review results of database integrity checks. Resolve identified issues.
- Design appropriate strategy to reorganize database objects to release unused space or repair fragmentation.
- Install database management software in any environment
- Install database patches and service packs in any environment.
- Provide maintenance, support and assistance to specialist DBAs with installation and configuration of clustered database failover, database replication solutions, and database backup solutions.
- Review, install, analyze and implement security patches to be applied to remain Payment Cared Industry (PCI) compliant, vendor compliant, and Michigan Cyber Security compliant.
- Designs the security model based on set standards. Create database user accounts and schemas in production environments based on defined and approved forms and procedures.
- Define/design roles and profiles.
- Recommend standard password security policies.
- Implement data encryption.
- Design, configure, and initiate auditing with appropriate options as needed.
- Create and deploy new database in development and test environments.
- Ensures and validates the integrity and quality of the scripts to be promoted to any of the environments.
- Provide guidance to systems analysts, based on documented standards, in creating and modifying application specific
- Perform Data Export/Import/Load and data transformations between databases in production environments.
- Perform production data file transfers between different systems, across state agencies, federal government, vendors, etc.
- Analyze and resolve database space utilization in production environments. Analyze and resolve issues with database
integrity in development, test, and production environments.
- Design and implement database backup solutions based on the business needs which include: configuration, testing,
implementation, modification, automation and monitoring of the backup and recovery solution as needed; troubleshoot
and resolve more complex backup issues. Work with the Enterprise Backup and Recovery (EBUR) team to design and
implement backup policy using available technology.
- Perform database restorations and point in time recovery to avoid data loss and meet service levels objectives.
- Perform troubleshooting of performance issues and provide required solution.
- Analyze databases for optimal performance and investigate poorly performing SQL statements and offending database sessions. Perform database performance tuning by identifying index candidates, updating database statistics, using appropriate optimization techniques, optimizer hints and other methods. Document tuning procedures.
- Perform thorough analysis and investigation to resolve locking conflicts. (For example: Locking conflicts can be shared or exclusive. Shared involve multiple users accessing the data or table at the same time. Exclusive is when only one user or process can access the data at a time. Locking conflicts can also be at different levels and an incorrect resolution can use corruption or loss of data.)
- Analyze and resolve issues related to undo/redo/transaction log configuration and sizing in development, test and production environments.
- Analyze and resolve server generated and threshold-based alerts. Perform resolution for the alert causes and provide recommendations for setting up appropriate alert thresholds.
- Implement defined initialization parameters, database instance memory structures and physical data layout for optimal performances.
- Monitor database jobs and scheduled processes, perform troubleshooting and provide resolution for any issues with jobs/processes as necessary. Document solution and provide root cause analysis.
- Agrees to follow all policy, standards and procedures of DTMB.
General Summary of Duty 2:
Database Storage and Capacity Planning: Monitor current space usage and contention. Do capacity planning for future expansions of current application data and new application needs.
Monitor and maintain the supported relational database management systems software and server environments. Provide required support for service requests, change management, and coverage during business hours.
Assist with internal System Support Team projects and research and reporting.
Individual tasks related to the duty:
- Recommend the procurement of new memory, CPUs and servers when necessary.
- Monitor database backups, schedule jobs, performance, capacities (space, memory), error logs, event logs, and general activity on the SQL servers.
- Monitor usage of all databases to identify and assist in resolution of problems with database access, index fragmentation, and processing or response times.
- Monitor supported relational database management systems security logs and report any inappropriate activity.
- Provide technical advice and guidance to application development staff on SQL syntax and the development of database objects such as stored procedures, indexes, and triggers.
- Work cooperatively with other System Support Team staff to provide required coverage for database services.
- Monitor Remedy and Service Requests to resolve requests per System Support Team Guidelines.
- Use prescribed Change Management practices to complete application database object modifications, manage SQL user IDs and privileges, and ensure separation of test, QA, and production environments.
- Assist application developers in defining database requirements for application system projects or enhancements.
- Keep current on database industry trends and future database software features for supported relational database management systems.
- Provide status reports as requested by management.
- Update Activity Monitoring and other tools as required with appropriate information.
- Provide metrics, logs and reports as requested by management.
- Assist in the development and documentation of database procedures, standards, best practices and change management processes.
- Monitor and enforce existing database standards and best practices, or report exceptions to Support Team Management.
Microsoft SQL Server Administration
Required 10 Years
Microsoft Windows Server Administration/Supprt
Highly desired 3 Years
Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services Administration/Support
Required 5 Years
Sybase Database Administration
Nice to have 2 Years